Commercial airlines all over the world are always doing their best to please their passengers and make them feel comfortable flying with them – even if it means that the airlines needs to resort to some quirky, weird and hilarious ways to make it happen.
Some of the best airlines – especially the 5-star ones – will provide their customers with the best services they could ever ask for; like cosy and comfy seats, luxury care packages, high-class inflight gourmet food, free flow of alcohol and good-looking flight attendants.
But not all of the airlines out there can provide such first-class treatment! Also, not every flyer can afford the expensive flight tickets!
So other airlines that are not 5-star, would probably need to resort to other methods to please their passengers – and usually they do it in humorous ways!
Previously, we’ve highlighted a particular Vietnamese flight which is known for having bikini-clad flight attendants performing Hawaiian-themed dance and also having lingerie-wearing models for the plane’s official calendars!
Now, let’s look at some other airlines which have taken memorable and quirky methods to entertain their passengers!
|(Photo source: flightsimworld.com)|
The national airline of New Zealand and also “the official airline to Middle Earth” as described by the airline, Air New Zealand, is definitely the perfect plane for all fans of the “Lord of the Rings” franchise, including “The Hobbit” film series, as some of its flights were specially designed, decorated and repainted to match the film franchise.
The airline is also known for its quirky airline safety videos, featuring characters from “The Lord of the Rings” and “The Hobbit”.
2. Air Asia – Funny safety announcement
|(Photo source: airportspotting.com)|
In 2012, the Malaysia low-cost airline had recruited an awesome flight attendant named Quinton Dinesh Thomas who did a memorable and hilarious inflight safety announcement which got everyone on the plane paying close attention while enjoying every bit of information he provided.
A video of him doing the safety announcement was recorded and went viral on the internet. Some of the jokes he made include;
– “Whenever the seatbelt seat sign is on, you must return to your seat and fasten your seatbelt. If you cannot find your seatbelt, maybe you are sitting on your seatbelt.”
– “Place your own mask first before assisting others under your care, especially children or any adult who may act like a child.”
– “As this is a non-smoking flight, please do not smoke throughout the flight. Smoking in the toilet will activate the smoke alarm. If you wish to smoke, please go outside the aircraft.”
3. Air Asia – Richard Branson in drag
|(Photo source: abcnews.go.com )|
The Virgin Group founder had a bet with AirAsia owner Tony Fernandes in 2010 to see which team would win in the Formula 1 Grand Prix that year. The loser of the bet would have to work on the winner’s airline during a charity flight while dressing as a stewardess.
Branson who lost, kept his word and two years later came dressed in drag with heavy makeup, blonde wig, fake eyelashes and a bright red lipstick while serving the passenger on an AirAsia charity flight between Perth and Kuala Lumpur on 12 May 2013.
4. All Nippon Airways – R2-D2 jet
|(Photo source: cnn.com)|
The 5-star airline is the largest in Japan which has 20 special livery aircrafts, and one of the liveries is a special Boeing 787-9 Dreamliner “Star Wars” themed R2-D2 jet which was introduced last year, in conjunction with the release of the latest “Star Wars” film, “Star Wars: The Force Awakens”.
There are also two additional planes decorated after a brand new character from the latest “Star Wars”, called BB-8.
|(Photo source: saigoneer.com)|
The Vietnamese international low-cost airline is infamously known for having its flight attendants dressed in sexy bikinis while performing a Hawaiian themed-dance during its inaugural flight from Ho Chi Minh to the tourist hub of Nha Trang. The airline was then fined in 2012 for not gaining permission from the Vietnam aviation authority to perform such activities.
In 2014, the airline was also criticised for featuring sexy flight attendants in lingerie for their calendars. Nevertheless, VietJet is not the first airline to feature sexy flight attendants. Irish airline Ryanair is also known for publishing yearly calendars featuring half-naked cabin crews.
|(Photo source: thrillist.com)|
6. Kulula – Funny safety announcement
|(Photo source: southafrica.to)|
The South African no-frills airline is known for its great sense of humour, especially their sarcastic jokes that sometimes hit right on the spot.
In 2010, the airline described itself as the “Unofficial National Carrier of the You-Know-What”, referring to the 2010 FIFA World Cup which took place in South Africa at that time, and was forced by FIFA to stop doing so. Some of their other funny inflight safety jokes as taken from Live Leak include;
– “People, people, we’re not picking out furniture here, find a seat and get in it!”
– “Please be sure to take all of your belongings… If you’re going to leave anything, please make sure it’s something we’d like to have.”
– “There may be 50 ways to leave your lover, but there are only 4 ways out of this airplane.”
– “In the event of a sudden loss of cabin pressure, masks will descend from the ceiling. Stop screaming, grab the mask, and pull it over your face. If you have a small child traveling with you, secure your mask before assisting with theirs. If you are traveling with more than one small child, pick your favourite.”
– “As you exit the plane, make sure to gather all of your belongings. Anything left behind will be distributed evenly among the flight attendants. Please do not leave children or spouses.”
– “Kulula Airlines is pleased to announce that we have some of the best flight attendants in the industry. Unfortunately, none of them are on this flight!”