Yesterday, we reported that the son of a prominent Malaysian politician (you know which one) had interrupted the set of DJ Fila – one half of Egyptian trance duo Aly & Fila – at Zouk Singapore, making DJ Fila rather furious of the whole incident as he claimed that he won’t be stepping his foot into the club anymore.
Zouk Singapore released a statement claiming that everything was just a big ‘misunderstanding’ as they didn’t ask DJ Fila, whose real name is Fadi Wassef Naguib, to end his set prematurely to make way for the politician’s son.
“Zouk would like to clarify that DJ Fadi (Fila) was not at any point of time asked to end his set prematurely before the contracted set end time of 3.30am,” Zouk posted on their Facebook.
However, DJ Fila is now voicing out and it seems like he is definitely not on the same page as Zouk Singapore as he took the matter to his own Facebook page, in great sordid detail!
“First of all, Zouk Singapore has been one of my favourite clubs in the world, so sad that my last time playing there ended this way,” DJ Fila wrote on his Facebook page.
Here’s the simple breakdown of the whole incident according to DJ Fila:-
• DJ Fila was first asked to play a contracted set from 1.30am to 3.30am.
• After a short interview, Fila was told by Byden, one of Zouk’s staff who handles the artistes, that he can play his set until the end, which is at 4.15am with an additional 15 minutes.
• Before he started his set, DJ Fila was introduced to a “VIP guest” AKA the son of the prominent politician – and also another guy, the new owner of Zouk.
• He officially started his set at 1.40am but was interrupted by Byden at 3.30am, who asked if he is willing to play back-to-back with the VIP guest, to which DJ Fila responded, “no way”.
• After continuing for 15 minutes, he was interrupted once again by Byden who told him that he needs to stop right away as “the new owner wants the VIP guest to play”.
So, that’s when DJ Fila made the announcement in the video that went viral yesterday.
“There was no misunderstanding!!! And instead of apologizing, Zouk keeps posting those lame statements and articles trying to get away with it,” he continued.
So, what do you think? Who is at fault here? The DJ, the club or the VIP guest?
Extra: Famous stand-up comedian from Malaysia, Harith Iskander also couldn’t resist poking fun at the incident.