Apple finally launched its new Apple Watch last night which includes a special rose gold deluxe edition with a sapphire face and a chunky solid-gold clasp.
Tim Cook, CEO of Apple Inc hopes that this new wearable technology will take the company into the next era of computing, “The Apple Watch the most personal device we’ve ever created, but it has to be personal with the ability to customise it,” as quoted from the Guardian.
Though most of the features shown were already seen at last year’s launch on 9 September, this year’s devices comes with a health and fitness sensor in its new Activity and Workout apps which is capable of measuring statistics such as heart rate, calories burned and body movements.
“You can even send your heart beat – an incredibly intimate communication and a whole new way to communicate,” added Cook.
Supermodel Christy Turlington Burns, who used the Apple Watch to train for a marathon said, “The Apple Watch is motivation, not just for training but for everyday things, it tracked my time, pushed me harder and tracked my fitness.”
The Apple Watch is like as extension of the iPhone because the function is similar such as pay for goods using Apple Pay, talk to Siri, manage photos and get notifications; almost anything you can do on your iPhone can also be done on Apple Watch.
The Apple Watch will be available for online pre-order on 10 April and in stores on 24 April, and the prices are as follows:-
- Apple Watch Sport – USD450 and USD500
- Apple Watch – USD720 to USD1430
- Apple Watch Edition – Starting at USD12,000
The special Apple Watch Edition which has a case made from a customised version of 18-karat rose gold making it the most expensive edition of the Apple Watch. The bands and buckles of the watch are also made from solid gold.
- Available in 38mm and 42mm screen sizes with 272×340 and 319×390 resolutions respectively.
- Feature a square-shaped display coated in a protective layer of sapphire crystal.
- Can mix and match different watch faces and straps at MixYourWatch website, or in store from 10 April.
- Supports touch navigation but can also be controlled by the handset’s Digital Crown which lets you scroll and browse through the user interface.
The Apple Watch is launched together with new Macbook, new service with HBO channel called AppleTV, Apple Pay payment system, and ResearchKit, Apple’s initiative to help patients share data on medical conditions with researchers.
The new Apple Watch will be available at Apple stores in the U.S. this 24 April onwards. No launch date for Asia has been revealed yet, but it is expected to arrive within the following month.
(Photo source: theguardian.com)